Work Rights after Studies - Australia Education Group

Work Rights after Studies

Many students want to work in Canada after graduation. However, students need to know specific conditions under which they can work in Canada after completing their degree. 

  • The Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) allows an international student to work in Canada for up to three years after completing the degree. In case you are eligible for the PGWP and want to stay and work in Canada, you must apply for the work permit within 180 days of getting the confirmation that your studies have been completed. 
  • If you intend to start a new course after your graduation, you can keep on working in Canada during your study in case you: 
  • were allowed to work off-campus between your former program;
  • still have a valid study permit, or applied for an extension before the permit expired;
  • have got confirmation of completion of your degree in written form;
  • have got a letter of acceptance from the university/college to the new full-time course at a DLI; 
  • will commence your new course within 150 days of getting confirmation that you completed your former degree;
  • In case you have not applied for the PGWP, and later on, you decide that you want to start working in Canada briefly, you may be entitled to one or more of the International Experience Canada (IEC) categories. Through IEC, young people from different countries are allowed to work in Canada for one or two years, based on the category and country of citizenship. 

Working in Canada during study can be valuable beyond the money you make. Getting a Canadian degree and work experience will enable you to stand out in today’s competitive business environment. Regardless of where you plan to work in the future, your work experience in Canada will prove to be a significant strength for your future ambitions. 

Do you Want to Study Abroad?

Enter your details below and we’ll call you back when it suits you. Don’t worry; your information will be kept confidential.