Work Rights after Graduating - Australia Education Group

Work Rights after Graduating

A post-study work visa lets international students augment their academic learning by achieving practical experience. Students who have completed their bachelor’s or master’s coursework degree will be eligible for a post-study work visa valid for two years. Students who have completed their master degree will be eligible for a post-study work visa valid for three years. Students who have completed their doctoral degree will be eligible for a post-study work visa valid for four years. 

As the international students get their Australian Student Visa, the government allows them to temporarily enter the country for the core purpose of studying with the understanding that the student will leave the country as soon as the degree finishes and before the visa will expire. Though, students who intend to work in Australia after completing their degree and are unable to secure a post-study work visa can check out the several other visa categories being offered by the Australian government. 



  • 485 Skilled Graduate Temporary Visa: 


This visa category is the most common option offered to international students after the completion of their degree. Under this visa category, you can stay in Australia for 18 months to achieve work experience. Note that you will be eligible for this visa category only if you have completed at least two years of study in an Australian institution. 


  • 887 Skilled Regional Residence Visa:


Through this visa, an international student can secure permanent residency and can work in Australia permanently. Note that to be eligible for this visa category, the student must have lived at least two years in Australia, have adequate points, and have one year of work experience. 

  • 600 Visitor Visa 

This visa category enables you to stay in Australia as a tourist, to visit family and friends, or for business purposes.  


  • 491 Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa


Under this visa category, you can study and work in a selected regional area of Australia for 5 years. The candidate can apply for permanent residence after 3 years from the time visa is issued. 


  • 482 Temporary Skill Shortage Visa 


This is a temporary visa where an employer hires a befittingly skilled worker who is not an Australian national to work in Australia for some time. This visa is granted when the employer fails to find a suitable Australian worker to fill the position. 


  • 190 Skilled Nominated Visa 


This visa enables the nominated skilled workers to live and work anywhere in Australia. The candidate who has secured this visa can live in Australia permanently. 


  • 476 Skilled Recognized Graduate Visa


Under this visa category, a recent engineering graduate can live, work or study in Australia for up to 18 months. It is necessary for the candidate to have completed their degree within the previous 2 years. The candidate has to be under 31 years old. 


  • 191 Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) Visa


People who have lived, worked and studied in an elected regional area of Australia on a previous eligible visa can qualify for this visa. With this visa, the candidate can live in Australia permanently.


  • 189 Skilled independent Visa 


Under this visa category, workers who live outside Australia and possess the required skills are invited to work anywhere in Australia permanently. 

Do you Want to Study Abroad?

Enter your details below and we’ll call you back when it suits you. Don’t worry; your information will be kept confidential.